Zamfara Massacre: Tears, Heartbreak as 143 Buried After Deadly Attack
In the wake of brutal attacks on several communities in Zamfara state no fewer than 143 bodies have so far been recovered and buried. Daily Trust reports that the attacks took place on Wednesday, January 5, and Thursday, January 6 in Anka and Bukuyyum local government areas.
It was gathered that migrating terrorists loyal to terror kingpin, Bello Turji, descended on the locals, killing many on their way from Fakai forest. Residents of the area speaking to the news publication on Friday, January 7, revealed that more corpses were being recovered from bushes. The discovered remains of victims were decapitated or burnt beyond recognition.
According to a retired soldier, over 250 people had been killed by the attackers while another source said dozens of residential houses and food stores were burnt
At the time of filing this report, Zamfara state government and security forces have yet to release a statement about the attacks.
In another report by The Punch, survivors of the terrorists’ attack on Rafin Danya, Barayar Zaki, Rafin Gero and Kurfa villages recounted their ordeal. Bandits fleeing from Zamfara State as a result of ongoing military operations in their large numbers invaded the villages in Anka and Bukkuyum LGAs. According to survivors of the attacks in the area, the terrorists killed over 200 villagers and set many houses ablaze.
Another survivor of Anka Aliyu Anka, said: “They killed people from 20 years and above. Some have been buried, some were burnt and we are still looking for bodies.”